Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Day 4: On the Streets

We got to sleep in until 9:00 this morning, pretty exciting! All of us were tired. We went to a church called Beza. It was amazing! The worship was in both American and Amharic and I loved every minute of it. It was the most unique experience I have ever had. I am glad I got the opportunity to share that time with my team as well. The sermon was very appropriate for our visit, Duh, God knew we were coming! It was based on Matthew 28: 18-20, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations." and  Mark 16:15, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all of creation." Just what we were doing in Ethiopia...being  his disciples, sharing His word and his love! Amen!! :)

Me and Christian at Beza. So exciting to know
 Christian was just
saved last year (through Young Life)
 and his heart is on fire for the lord!!
After church we headed to the market.. It was hard to shop because their were moms holding their babies begging for food, money, or anything we would give them. We passed out a few suckers with notes attached telling them, 'Jesus loves you.' We held our bags close to us because they would try and steal things. Very sad, but this is all they know. There were also 'street kids' asking you to buy gum, shine your shoes, asking for food, and watching your every move. These kids no nothing but the streets. They literally live on the streets. Some as young as 5 years old...heart breaking.



Kids in Ethiopia love to play soccer. Clay, Tucker, and Andy all played soccer growing up, then in college, and Clay coached the Ravenwood girls team up until this year. Soccer, AKA Futbol is a way for kids to have fun and forget about the daily struggles and their hungry bellies. The street kids impaticular LOVE to play. Clay brought and left them balls to play when we left. Their faces light up when they see the boys bring out the balls to play. Not only thie street kids but Clay, Tucker, and Andy. Playing soccer is one of their gifts, and they were able to minister to kids by simply playing. I love this!!!
Ashli fell in love with this 16 year boy, Sammi last year when she came with OH. Now as Ashli lives in Ethiopia, serving the kids and making the biggest difference in so many of their lives. Sammie now lives with her, along with 2 other boys that once lived on the streets. Ashli, your amazing girl!!!
After playing soccer with the kids, we headed to Kaldi's. Everyone was so excited to go get coffee at a place so similar to Starbucks. Mmmmmm!

After dessert at Kaldi's we headed to dinner. Funny I know, but we were still getting use to the food at this point. We went to a traditional Ethiopian restaurant called, Yoda Abyssinia. You sit down in chairs around a very small round table. There was entertainment that was amazing!! They have singers and dancers from all different cultures. The dancing was my favorite! Well, until I was called on stage! I will get to that...
The waiter came and brought a bucket of water and soap. He had us get soap in our hands and he then poured water over our hands to wash them before dinner. Then they brought a plate of injera, with meat and sauces. It looks very different to anything I have ever had, but it was pretty good. It would take some getting use to. In Ethiopian culture, they eat injera with almost every meal. They LOVE it!

After dinner a waitress kept coming over and talking to Maste and looking at me. Hmmmm, of course I was very curious as to what they were saying. I need to brush up on my Amharic for my next trip! Lol!!
 Maste proceeds to tell me that she thinks I am a famous singer. Me being so gullible believe him and go on talking with he group. Then I notice the dancers on stage looking over at me, and then they come and get me....OH NO! I don't get embarrassed easily, but I am guessing I was turning every shade of red at this point. They pull me on stage, wrapped white linens around me and one of the dancers and sat us down in these chairs in the middle of the stage. They proceeded to dance in front of us. I am just sitting there not knowing what in the world is going on. Then they make me get up and dance....OMG!!! I looked like so silly up there for sure! After the dancing, they lead us out and have me wave to the crowd and bow... ok I will do what I am told. I still had no idea what was going on. When I get back to my seat I was told I was just married!! HAHAHA! Well, pretend married. Too funny! I am glad I got to experience it, but Maste...I will get you back!
*Oh I forgot to mention that the President of South Korea was at the restaurant too.

After the entertainment, we had a coffee ceremony. This is very common in their culture. They burn incense, serve coffee, roast something that I'm not sure what it is, and serve popcorn. Interesting!
It was a fun night with great company and lots of laughs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment